Work for Save The Bay
Save The Bay is the largest regional organization working to protect, restore and celebrate San Francisco Bay since 1961. Save The Bay engages more than 50,000 supporters, advocates, and volunteers to protect the Bay from pollution and reckless shoreline development and make it cleaner and healthier for people and wildlife. Save The Bay is leading a region-wide effort to re-establish 100,000 acres of tidal marsh that are essential for a healthy Bay. Volunteers from the community, local businesses, and schools work with our science team to perform hands-on restoration of the Bay shoreline. Save The Bay inspires the next generation of Bay activists through our award-winning restoration education programs.
Save The Bay is subleasing part of our beautiful office space in Downtown Oakland. For additional information please click here.
About the Opportunity
The Political Director is the region’s top advocate for San Francisco Bay, and this position will play a leadership role in crafting Save The Bay’s 2015 strategic plan. The plan will build on our recent advocacy successes to address emerging Bay threats from pollution and climate change, and to seize historic opportunities for restoring the Bay’s health. The Director will design and manage ambitious campaigns to eliminate all toxic trash entering the Bay from stormwater, double healthy wetlands on the Bay shoreline to 100,000 acres, and prevent landfill in the Bay. The Director leads the policy team, and works with senior staff and the Board of Directors to achieve the organization’s goals. The successful candidate has the experience and skill to win significant victories by mobilizing Save The Bay’s assets and alliances with policy-makers, businesses, community organizations and scientists. This position reports to the Executive Director and serves on the senior management team.
- Plan and manage winning campaigns to achieve Save The Bay’s strategic goals; develop work plans, tactics and budgets for policy team and volunteers.
- Advocate successfully for Save The Bay’s policy objectives with elected officials, agencies, and stakeholders.
- Lead and manage a team of policy professionals to accomplish work plans and produce excellent results.
- Serve as a spokesperson to promote Save The Bay and its campaigns to news media and other audiences.
- Serve on Save The Bay’s senior management team and work closely with other directors to integrate policy objectives throughout the organization.
- Identify and secure project funding, and leveraging policy campaigns for donor support; cultivate and solicit a portfolio of individual and institutional donors.
- Support organization strategy development and policy oversight by the Board of Directors and its committees.
- Evaluate outcomes and progress toward strategic plan goals, and adjust tactics to ensure Save The Bay’s maximum impact and effectiveness.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Strategic, ambitious, creative thinker, with proven ability to see the big picture and set priorities, take initiative to create opportunities, and get results.
- At least 10 years of demonstrated leadership in developing and executing successful issue advocacy campaigns, direct lobbying and policy victories.
- Superb political judgment, decisiveness, and enthusiasm for Save The Bay’s mission and policy goals; familiarity with Bay ecology and issues is beneficial.
- At least 5 years of successful program management and staff leadership, with demonstrated ability supervising and motivating employees to set and accomplish ambitious objectives, establish and implement project budgets and work plans.
- Teamwork and leadership skills for effective collaboration; proven track record of building strong alliances with public officials, community leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Excellent project-management and problem-solving skills; ability to manage multiple issue campaigns, objectives and staff simultaneously.
- Excellent persuasive speaking and writing skills; attention to detail; computer proficiency with Windows, Salesforce and Internet research applications.
- Valid California driver’s license and favorable driving record; clean background check.
Compensation and Benefits:
The Political Director is a senior management position offering salary commensurate with experience. Save The Bay’s excellent employee benefits include insurance for medical, dental, vision and chiropractic services; 403(b) plan, paid vacation, paid holidays and sick time.
Save The Bay’s downtown Oakland offices feature an attractive work environment and excellent access to transit. Save The Bay is an equal opportunity employer that strives to recruit and retain a diverse workforce.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Political Director - [your last name]. No phone calls, please.