Work for Save The Bay
Save The Bay is the largest regional organization working to protect, restore and celebrate San Francisco Bay since 1961. Save The Bay engages more than 50,000 supporters, advocates, and volunteers to protect the Bay from pollution and reckless shoreline development and make it cleaner and healthier for people and wildlife. Save The Bay is leading a region-wide effort to re-establish 100,000 acres of tidal marsh that are essential for a healthy Bay. Save The Bay inspires the next generation of Bay activists through our award-winning restoration education programs. To apply for a position at Save The Bay, send your cover letter and resume to jobs AT savesfbay DOT org. Include the position title in the subject line.
Regional Political Organizer
Save The Bay Fellows (volunteer positions)
Regional Political Organizer
The Regional Political Organizer conducts outreach for the legislative, electoral, and community relations programs of Save The Bay and the Save The Bay Action Fund within the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California. The Organizer will advocate for Climate Change Resiliency through the acceleration of wetlands restoration efforts and the increase of fresh water flows into the Bay, and for Bay Smart Communities through policies that promote sustainable development, reduce Bay pollution and water consumption, and enhance access to the Bay shoreline for all.
The Organizer will support Save The Bay Action Fund’s work to secure passage by voters of a June 2016 region-wide parcel tax measure to fund Bay wetlands restoration, and will support Save The Bay’s work to develop Zero Trash plans in targeted cities, building local organization and expertise. This position reports to the Political Director and works closely with the Climate Change and Clean Bay Campaign Managers.
The Regional Political Organizer will:
• serve as the primary day-to-day contact between Save The Bay and municipal, county, state, and federal elected officials and staff;
• serve as the primary day-to-day contact between Save The Bay and advocacy groups working on environmental quality and environmental justice, smart growth and sustainable development, affordable housing and public transit, neighborhood blight and improvement, and expanded preservation of and access to open space;
• coordinate Save The Bay’s engagement with the legislative and electoral work of the broader environmental movement and other strategic allies;
• organize the grassroots lobbying efforts of Save The Bay staff and supporters;
• monitor municipal and county politics and policy, and develop strategic action plans;
• participate as appropriate in ongoing community coalitions around relevant matters;
• organize ad-hoc coalitions and mobilize other forms of action by community stakeholders in support of Save The Bay’s political and policy priorities;
• work with supporters of Save The Bay and the Save The Bay Action Fund to develop recommendations to their Boards of Directors and carry out the organizations’ ongoing political work;
• perform other duties as assigned.
• BA/BS required with knowledge of environmental policy preferred.
• At least three years of experience leading and winning issue advocacy campaigns, with increasing levels of responsibility.
• Strong persuasive writing, research, editing, and public speaking skills.
• Experience working in multi-disciplinary staff teams, developing and executing work plans, and facilitating meetings.
• Familiarity with Bay ecology and issues, agency and legislative processes, and community-based political programs.
• Proven ability both to work independently and to collaborate effectively.
• Experience working effectively with elected and agency officials, community leaders, environmental activists, and diverse groups of other stakeholders.
• Passion for Save The Bay’s mission.
• Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and collaborative work style.
• Valid CA driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Clean background check.
• Proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office, and Internet research applications.
To apply for a position at Save The Bay, send your cover letter and resume to jobs AT savesfbay DOT org. Include the position title in the subject line.