History of The Faber Tract
Early 1900s: Peter Faber dikes the area for cattle grazing
1944: Although it is outside of city and county limits, the City of Palo Alto purchases the land as a potential site for industrial development and the site is used for depositing dredge material from adjacent harbors.
1965: The City of Palo Alto dedicates the area as parkland.
1971: BCDC requires the county to open the dikes to allow tidal flow. Marsh grasses are planted with the help of local volunteers.
2010: Upland restoration begins with East Palo Alto community members.
The Faber-Laumeister Tract in East Palo Alto, part of the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge, is one of the oldest wetland restoration projects in the San Francisco Bay. It provides food and shelter for thousands of native plants and animals every year, including the endangered California Clapper Rail and Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse. It is also directly connected to Save the Bay’s San Francisquito Creek restoration site and very close to our Ravenswood Restoration Site.
Save The Bay Restores the Faber-Laumeister Tract
Shorebirds from all over the South Bay take advantage of the abundant resources in the natural marshes and nearby industrial salt ponds. To ensure the conservation of these birds and other wildlife, Save The Bay, the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge and the City of East Palo Alto are working with the local community to restore transition zone and upland habitats along the levee that divides the Faber and Laumeister Tracts.
Restoration goals at this site include:
- Work closely with schools, community groups and corporations to restore critical habitat
- Focused outreach and engagement within the City of East Palo Alto.
- Re-vegetate transition zone and upland habitat by removing invasive weeds and replacing with native upland plants
- Grow native transition zone and upland plants for the restoration project in our Palo Alto Baylands Native Plant Nursery